I guess you are looking for some Christmas cake ideas right now?! Don’t you?! Well, this dried fruit cake recipe is the perfect one. It’s both traditional and full of nutrients, and the best thing it is without alcohol, and that makes you guilt free when you offer it to your kids.
Christmas 2021 is coming back!! I can’t believe how the time flies so fast!
I’m sure you are busy now looking for gift ideas, decorations and easy Christmas recipes.
Well, let’s start our dried fruit cake recipe.
Dried fruit cake recipe / easy Christmas cake recipe:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
750 g mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
250 g butter
1 cup sugar
2 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions of dried fruit cake recipe:
- Preheat the oven to slow 150°C ( 350°F).
- Grease a deep 20 cm cake tin and line the base and side with two layers of baking paper.
- Place the mixed fruit in a large bowl, add the orange juice and mix well.
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, mixed spice and baking powder together and fold half of the dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Stir in the mixed fruit and brandy then mix in the remaining by ingredients.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Cover the cake with aluminium foil and leave to cool in the tin.
Nutritional facts per serving:
Protein: 8.5 g
Fat: 3.5 g
Carbohydrates: 123 g
Dietary fibre: 5.5 g
Cholesterol: 90 mg
Energy: 570 cal
How to avoid dried fruit from sinking in the cake?
Simply, toss the fruit with couple tablespoons of flour ( scoop it from the measured dry ingredients for the recipe) before starting the recipe.
Does it matter what ratio dried fruit in Christmas cake?
Yes, it matters. Sticking to the ingredients will give you the best result.
How to soak fruits for Christmas cake?
Put the mixed dried fruit in a jar. Add orange juice to the fruit mixture and cover it with cling wrap. Put the lid on the jar and store it at room temperature overnight.
Have you liked this recipe? If so, please share it.